Friday, January 18, 2008

Love My Job

I have the best job in the world! Not many people can say they love their jobs, and I know I'm blessed. Tuesday was my first day back in class, and I was greeted with the enthusiastic hugs and smiles of 20 six-year-olds who were happy to see me (unlike my own boys' reaction, who were more sad to see their cousins and auntie M go home than they were happy to see us back - go figure-- except of course, my baby). Every year I get way too attached to these kids; but it's hard to not get "too involved." I'm a lot better than I used to be, much to my husband's relief. I don't cry nearly as much in my frustration of not being able to fix many of their circumstances. When I hear their heartbreaking stories now, I've accepted that sometimes - all I really can do is give them a hug and a smile; and then I remember that that's probably the only one that they'll get that day. I also remind myself that that's what they do for me every day - and just how much I LOVE IT. One of my "favorite" kids told me today that he's moving and I'm really bummed about it. He's going to Oakland and "it's dangerous there. My auntie got shot there, but she's not dead; so we're moving back." He's "only a little scared to go there" -- I can't imagine why. These kids have seen so much, have lived through more in their short lives than I could have ever dreamed of before working there. I wonder why God chose me to be born into the great family that I'm in. Why am I so blessed? I'll never really know down here, but it's going to be one of my first questions to Him when I see. Until then, I'm eternally grateful - and pray my boys will grow up feeling as blessed as I do.

No comments: