Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trading Places

Yesterday morning Tony woke me up because one of my favorite people in the world was on the phone and wanted to talk to me. It was an early morning call, and anyone who loves me or knows me, knows not to call me early... unless it's important (except my dad of course, who calls me regardless of the time - just because he can).

Unfortunately, the news was not good. She'd just found out her husband has cancer, and they were going in that afternoon for some more tests so she wanted me to pray for them. Now the word cancer means different things to different people... and in her case, having just lost a brother in a long, painful battle to cancer -- you can imagine what it means for her.

A few hours later, literally, we prayed with some friends that were leaving to have surgery for their baby whose skull isn't developing right. If you've ever had a sick child, you know it's the most helpless, heartwrenching feeling in the world. A place that no family wants to be.

As I cried to my dad about my friend's husband having cancer, he reminded me that another friend was being induced this morning at 7:00 am. The doctor's are anticipating her to deliver the baby around 1:00 p.m., and the baby isn't expected to live more than just a few minutes. Can you even begin to imagine the emotional struggle of these last 9 months for them...

So dad's point was this... as bad as life circumstances can be - with our kids, or job, or family... there is always someone who would desperately wish to trade places.

So as I went through the day, with a heavy heart for all three of these families... my own frustrations with the kids, my house, the bills, getting a TICKET for the first time in my life... and life in general-- seemed easier to put into perspective.

I wouldn't want to trade places... but I sure am more appreciative today than I was before.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting things into perspective today!

My boys have all been fussing with one another all day. In fact, my second son gave my oldest son a bloodly lip. The lip was o.k., but I was frustrated that they simply could not play together nicely today.

Your post set me straight! Thanks

Are You Serious! said...

♡ That would be so hard to deal with! I hope everything goes well for everyone!!!

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

Wow, am I ever sorry about all these hard things happening to people you know.

I needed to hear this today. I felt like my day was a mess, but it really wasn't all that bad after all. Thanks for the reminder to keep things in perspective. It seems we need this reminder more than we should.

Doesn't the verse go...'be thankful in ALL circumstances?' I need to remember this.

Jenny said...

Ugh. Now I feel like a schmuck for my last post complaining about my kids not cleaning their rooms. You're right, Rachel. We need to think about these 3 families when we are having a "bad" day. Keep us informed...

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

Thank you so much for the reminder! I was just complaining today about the boys not listening! I should realize just how blessed I am each moment of the day!
Keep us updated on those precious families!

The Joys of having Boys said...

Thanks for that post and sharing. I will be praying for those families also. I have a place in my heart for those families having to battle cancer.

Kristen said...

Thanks for the reminder to keep it all in check.

I am so sorry to hear that all of these families are dealing with such hardships. I will be praying for you and them tonight.

Hang in there, and sending hugs your way. :)

Megan said...

so true- and a reminder we all need.

Megan

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

As painful as it is to watch my husband go through cancer and know that our chances of a long life together and grandchildren and retirement are extremely slim, I don't want to trade the appreciation for life I have come to know. I don't want to trade a single moment with MY husband if it meant a life less painful. I don't want to trade the boys I have for any biological children we may have been able to have if it weren't for the cancer, even though the infertility still hurts.

I love who I have in my life and I love appreciating them

KEEP BELIEVING