Thursday, July 31, 2008

Balancing on Stilts... Going backwards

I'm one of "those" moms that actually thinks it's a big deal to have "family time." Usually that means having our meals together as much as possible; but when you have kids that are into sports... that gets a little tricky. Last year, when Tony was an assistant coach for the 2 older boy's football teams, it was really hard. So hard in fact, he decided not to coach this year because, although Caden and I went to most of the practices; there were some nights we'd just hang out together and watch the clock until they'd come home.

This year, only Colton is playing football. Since he is changing schools, and wanted to be with his friend that he played baseball with, he's playing on a team that is ALL the way across town. So for the next few months, 6 days a week, we'll be driving him to his practice or his game.

Here's my hang up.

AJ will be finished with All Stars this weekend; but he's already been playing summer ball for the last few weeks. Since I'm with Colton at his football practice, I've been missing his baseball games... and I JUST HATE THAT!

Not only am I missing AJ's baseball games, I'm not with Tony and the other boys at night (the other 2 boys usually go with their dad to the games too). Tonight was supposed to be the first night we'd all go to the football practice together, but Tony just called (all excited) to say that AJ has a practice tonight for a travel ball team.

AJ has been really excited about some other teams that he's thinking he wants to play for too. And I'm happy for him, really I am. I just... I just... I just want to SEE ALL his GAMES too, and BE WITH HIM AND HIS DAD... instead of being across town at football practice.

The whole point of Tony not coaching, wasn't so that we could be on different fields, in different cities 5 nights a week... it was so that we'd actually be together... even if that meant we were together at some sport event.

HMMM...

So... yeah... I feel like I'm trying to balance it all... but right now I'm feeling like I'm going backwards instead of forwards.

20 comments:

Rhonda said...

OHHHHHHH

I feel for ya.

My daughters told me I was not "balancing well" in that all I did was All Stars and forgot that the others were missing out on our nightly dinners at home. I have so neglected some of our usual routines all for Elijah.

However, it is over and we are on to our next high energy event...wedding. Yay!

Not sure where the balance is.

When you find it....you'll let me know, right?! LOL

Kristen said...

Oh that sounds like no fun!

Sorry that you are being pulled in so many directions right now.

It stinks, it just totally stinks!

Hope that a solution can be found quickly.....

Amanda said...

Who said having four children was easy?!
I hope you can find a solution soon that will work and make life a bit easier for you (and) your family.
l,
Amanda xx

Wendi said...

I am right there with you sista!
When you figure out how to balance it all....give me a call.
I am still trying to figure it out too!!!

new*me said...

finding family time with conflicting schedules has got to be hard. Right now the kids are little so it's easy but I expect it will get more challenging as the years go on. We have family dinner at the table with all of us every day and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Lori said...

I"m sure you will figure it out... some how!

The Farmer Files said...

That is some crazy balancing, but OH MY are your kids talented!

andria said...

We only had one night of soccer and a sat. morning game each week for four months last year and I thought I was going to die from the exhaustion. I cannot even imagine.

When the dr. said "its a boy" with my first I immediately imagined little league and soccer and football. I love that stuff. My oldest is seven and doesn't care a lick about sports and I feel like a horrible mother but I'm not signing him up for any this school year. It's a little disappointing but well see how number two likes it in a couple of years.

So I'll think of you while we have all this free time on our hands. LOL.

C and C Mommy said...

Oh, I feel so sorry for you. I don't look forward to the day when both kids are doing an activity. I hope things get better!!

Kelly said...

It's hard juggling it all isn't it?? We're very big on family time and dinners together also. I have 2 in sports plus hubby and I are involved in sand vball and he's in the multisport club (running,swimming,biking). I know our youngest will be in sports before we know it and then it will get really tough.

If you figure something out, pass it on! LOL

Shanna said...

Good luck to figuring it all out! It is such a hard balance and we do the best we can :) Family time for us happens in the winter time since my kids ussually do not do sports then.

Amy Plumb said...

Our kids play sports and it gets to the point where we don't know if we're coming or going. I only have two boys it must crazy to have two more in the mix.

I believe in the family dinner thing, we all sit down together no matter what. (unless hubby out of town on business) So there are times we are eating at 9:30pm. It sucks but it my family rule.

FYI if I know it's going to be a long night I try and grab healthly snacks for everyone. Because I know if I don't and dinner is going to be at 9:30pm we'll never make during the game.

Hope everything works out for you,
Amy

Patrice and Higgins said...

I left you an award at my blog, swing by and pick it up!!

Jenny said...

Ugh. That doesn't sound like fun, and it would make me miserable, too. I don't know what the fix would be?

Caroline said...

I just saw your comment on my blog (Pocket Change)and wanted to see what 4funboys was all about. Your family is very handsome, and you my dear look like Lori Laughlin (played Becky on Full House). I did a double take. Unless you really are Lori, in which case I can keep a celebrity secret. You'd be the first celebrity I "know".

Anonymous said...

I understand. I'd be upset, too. Last summer was kind of like that--I'd miss one boy's game because I was in a different town with another boy. All the chasing a round was a bit much, so this summer only the youngest boy wanted to play baseball, and I was relieved, LOL.

Missing games and being separated is the pits, but it seems unavoidable when more than one child is involved in sports/activities.

Jodi said...

Ooooh, I feel your pain! I have three playing football now and that means when the games start that I will probably have four games EVERY week. Not that I haven't done it before, but it does get so tricky trying to also lead a somewhat normal life and have a meal together once in a while!

Hipmomofboyz said...

Oh, girl. Welcome to my world. Things will work out, they always do. Enjoy your time with your family.

Misty said...

Schedules. *sigh*

We're big on family time. So much so my church sets aside Monday evenings as "Family Home Evening".

Do I make that happen every week? Not so much? Worth the effort? You bet.

School is just around the corner here. It's not going to get any easier, is it?

Jen said...

That is so challenging and frustrating. I know that in a few years, I will be having the same problems.